• Follow us on -
Immigration in to Canada

Skilled Worker

Federal Skilled Worker Category

Skilled workers are selected as permanent residents based on their education, work experience, knowledge of English and/or French, and other criteria that have been shown to help them become economically established in Canada.

Eligibility is assessed according to the criteria set out below.

For your application to be eligible for processing, you must:
Take an official language proficiency test, AND

Have your education assessed by an approved agency, AND

Have a valid offer of arranged employment, OR

You are an international student who is enrolled in a PhD program in Canada (or who graduated from a Canadian PhD program within the past 12 months) and meet certain criteria, OR

Be a skilled worker who has had one year of continuous full-time or equivalent part-time paid work experience in at least one of the following eligible occupations within the last ten years:

  • 0211   Engineering managers
  • 1112   Financial and investment analysts
  • 2113   Geoscientists and oceanographers
  • 2131   Civil engineers
  • 2132   Mechanical engineers
  • 2134   Chemical engineers
  • 2143   Mining engineers
  • 2145   Petroleum engineers
  • 2144   Geological engineers
  • 2146   Aerospace engineers
  • 2147   Computer engineers (except software engineers/designers)
  • 2154   Land surveyors
  • 2174   Computer programmers and interactive media developers
  • 2243   Industrial instrument technicians and mechanics
  • 2263   Inspectors in public and environmental health and occupational health and safety
  • 3141   Audiologists and speech-language pathologists
  • 3142   Physiotherapists
  • 3143   Occupational Therapists
  • 3211   Medical laboratory technologists
  • 3212   Medical laboratory technicians and pathologists’ assistants
  • 3214   Respiratory therapists, clinical perfusionists and cardiopulmonary technologists
  • 3215   Medical Radiation Technologists
  • 3216   Medical Sonographers
  • 3217   Cardiology technologists and electrophysiological diagnostic technologists

These occupations are either:

  • Skill Type 0 (management occupations) or
  • Skill Level A (professional occupations) or
  • Skill Level B (technical occupations and skilled trades)

on the Canadian National Occupational Classification list.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada will only consider a limited number of applications per year. Between May 4, 2013, and April 30, 2014, No more than 5,000 complete FSW applications  will be considered for processing. Within the 5,000 cap, No more than 300 applications per eligible occupation will be considered for processing within this same time frame. Contact us NOW to find out if there are spots still available within your occupation.

This does not apply if you:

  • have a valid offer of arranged employment, or
  • are applying under the PhD stream (there is a cap of 1,000 applications in this stream, from May 4, 2013 to April 30, 2014).

What work experience counts?

If your application is eligible for processing, it will then be assessed against minimum requirements.
Your work experience must be:

  • for at least one year (continuous paid full-time or the equivalent in part-time), AND
  • Skill Type 0 (managerial occupations) or Skill Level A (professional occupations) or B (technical occupations and skilled trades) on the Canadian National Occupational Classification (http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC-CNP/app/AboutNOC.aspx?lc=E) (NOC) list, AND
  • within the last 10 years.


  • The NOC was developed by HRD to be a systematic taxonomy of occupations in the Canadian labour market. It is based on extensive occupational research, analysis and consultation conducted across the country. It describes duties, skills, interests, aptitudes, education requirements and work settings for occupations in the Canadian labour market. The NOC is divided into five bands: Skill Type 0 – Management Occupations; Skill Level A, which is primarily comprised of professional occupations; Skill Level A, which is primarily comprised of professional occupations; Skill Level B, which consists of technical, skilled trades and paraprofessional occupations; Skill Level C, which comprises occupations that mainly consist of intermediate level, clerical or supportive functions; and Skill Level D, which consists of elemental sales or service and primary labourer occupations. Only experience in Skill Type 0 or Skill Level D, which consists of elemental sales or service and primary labourer occupations. Only experience in Skill Type 0 or Skill Levels A and B considered relevant for applicants in the Skilled Worker Class.
  • To immigrate under the Skilled Worker Class, the experience in Skill Type 0 or Skill A and B must consist of actions described in the lead description and a substantial number of the duties described in the “Main Duties” section of the NOC including all the essential duties. Currently, applicants must also demonstrate that they can meet the “Employment Requirements” of the NOC listed for their intended occupation. The “Employment Requirements,” often referred to as entry requirements, may indicate that a particular occupation requires completion of a certain type of University degree or membership in a certain Canadian professional association. By eliminating the requirement to also meet the Employment Requirements provision of the NOC, the IRP Regulations recognize the considerable difficulty for many skilled immigrants of meeting some Canadian requirements before their arrival in Canada. In addition Canadian employers may not require experienced job applicants to meet the same entry requirements as new entrants to the labour market.

If you meet the minimum requirements, your application will be processed according to the six selection factors in the skilled worker points grid, these selection factors are:

  • your education
  • your abilities in English and/or French, Canada’s two official languages
  • your work experience
  • your age
  • whether you have arranged employment in Canada, and
  • your adaptability.

You must also show that you have enough money to support yourself and your dependants after you arrive in Canada.

Please direct your enquiries to:

Contact Us
Telephone: (403) 261-6890
Toll Free: (800) 523-6162 (North America Only)
Fax: (403) 263-1632
Toll Free Fax: (877) 586-9325
E-mail:  info@hansen-company.com