• Follow us on -
Immigration in to Canada

Self-Employed Farmer Stream

Farm owner/operators with proven management skills and the financial resources to develop a sustainable growth-oriented primary production farming business in Alberta.

AINP can nominate individual farm owner/operators wishing  to immigrate, purchase and manage a farming business in Alberta.

AINP works with Alberta Agriculture and Rural Development to assess the eligibility of applicants in this category.

Self-Employed Farmer Stream Criteria

  1. Proven Farm management skills shown by:
  • Financial documentation of your existing farm business
  • Documentation of your education, training and work experience
  • Proposed business plan for the farming enterprise you are considering in Alberta
  • Proof that a Canadian financial institution is willing to finance your proposed farming business.


  1. Sufficient financial resources to develop a sustainable farming operation.
  • Invest a minimum of CDN $500,000 of equity in a primary production farming business in Alberta.
  • Prove you have a minimum net worth of CDN $500,000 or confirmation that you have access to a similar amount of funds from other sources.
  • CDN $500,000 is a minimum amount. Applicants may be required to show they have the ability to invest more than the minimum.


  1. Invest in a primary production farming business in Alberta.
  • Document your investment intentions in your proposed business plan.

Priority is given to applications representing the best opportunity for growth relevant to Alberta’s agri-food targets.

Meeting the criteria listed above does not guarantee a nomination or permanent residence.

If you have any questions about this stream, contact:

Alberta Agriculture and Rural Development
Toll Free in Alberta: 310-FARM (310-3276) or 1-866-882-7677
Telephone: (Canada 001) (403) 742-7901
E-mail: farm.ainp@gov.ab.ca


  1. Refugee claimants, or individuals involved in a federal appeal or removal process;
  2. Live-in caregivers currently living in Canada; and
  3. Temporary foreign workers working and residing in a province other than Alberta.


Leave a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *